Saturday, August 12, 2006

Datelines

When I started my first job out of graduate school, as a writer at a group of medical trade newspapers, I posted this list of cities on the cubicle wall above my typewriter.*


Atlanta
Baltimore
Beijing
Berlin
Boston
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Djibouti
Geneva
Gibralter
Guatemala City
Havana
Hong Kong
Honolulu
Houston
Indianapolis
Jerusalem
Kuwait City
Las Vegas
London
Los Angeles
Luxembourg
Macau
Mexico City
Miami
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
Monaco
Montreal
Moscow
New Delhi
New Orleans
New York
Oklahoma City
Ottawa
Paris
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Quebec City
Rome
St. Louis
San Marino
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Singapore
Tokyo
Toronto
Vatican City
Washington

* Yes, a typewriter! We used electric typewriters and actual carbon paper for the first few years I worked there. Cut-and-paste was meant, and done, literally. No, I am not that old. It was an antiquated office.

The list comes from the style book of the Associated Press, an industry standard. These cities stand alone in the dateline of a news story, without being followed by the state name or country. Presumably these cities are known well enough that the average reader doesn't need any more information

Every time I visited a new city on the list, I'd check it off. I wondered how many of these cities I would ever visit.

Nearly 20 years later, my updated list shows that I have been to 30 of the 57 cities. If you just consider American cities, it's 23 of 30.

I would like to check off at least 5 or 6 more.

No comments: