Friday, January 26, 2007

Eat your colors

















Here's part of a playful meal we had this week, inspired by the bag of "rainbow carrots" I picked up at Trader Joe's.

Much as I wanted the different colors to have distinct tastes, they all just tasted carrotty. But I enjoyed the contrast of the palest yellow carrot with the darkest, almost-red carrot. I plan to try cooking these sometime to see what happens to the colors.

The milk has green food coloring in it, although it doesn't show well in the picture. E tasted the green milk and said at first that it tasted the same as usual. Then he thought some more and described the taste as "sort of like ice cream." Since we occasionally eat ice cream that contains coloring, that made sense to me.

The froggy bowl is filled with superballs, which are inedible, of course. I just liked how they looked.

No comments: