Wednesday, July 11, 2007

47 restaurants in 47 days: #8, Fraiche Yogurt

Logo - Fraiche Yogurt - 250.gif




Fraiche Yogurt
644 Emerson Street, Palo Alto

I walked into Fraiche with chocolate on my mind, but when the girl behind the counter asked if I wanted to sample something, I tried the "natural" frozen soy yogurt and was hooked. It was tangy and just a little bit sweet. I topped it with chunks of mango and a fresh-tasting raspberry sauce ($4.95 for a regular size with two toppings). Dee-lish.

There's also milk-based frozen yogurt in two flavors, "natural" and chocolate, as well as fresh (non-frozen) yogurt, including a Greek-style non-flavored yogurt. All of the yogurts are organic and made in-house.

Other things you might add to your yogurt include fresh blueberries and kiwi, graham crackers, almonds, granola, toasted coconut, dried figs, maple syrup, and three kinds of honey.

Fraiche opened less than a month ago, but its fans on Web sites such as Yelp and this local foodie blog are already celebrating their addiction to this wholesome treat.

Fraiche also sells coffee, espresso, steel-cut whole-grain oatmeal, and baked goods -- cookies, quick breads and breakfast bars -- from local sources. (Lavender biscotti, anyone?) The coffee comes from Blue Bottle Coffee, an Oakland-based "artisanal microroaster" specializing in organic and shade-grown beans.

I thought seriously about getting a second cup of yogurt. Maybe the chocolate this time. After all, I'd only had a salad for lunch...

As I was leaving, one of the other customers pointed to the ripply white wall behind us and said, "Look! It looks like yogurt!" I don't know if that was an intentional effect, but the interior does have a cool, modern feel to it.

Fraiche in Palo Alto

No comments: