Sunday, September 02, 2007

47 restaurants in 47 days: #31, Cold Stone Creamery

Cake Batter Confetti™

Cold Stone Creamery
9 Town & Country Village, Palo Alto

I was just getting the kids some ice cream, wasn’t going to have any myself, but then I saw it: Cake Batter ice cream. Those of you who like to lick the bowl are paying attention now. I had a sample spoon, then came back later for a dish. It tastes EXACTLY like yellow-cake-mix batter. Totally artificial, totally irresistible.

The lavish buffet of mix-in ingredients is almost irrelevant. But for the record, you can add chunks of Snickers bars, crushed cookies, gummy candies, mini-marshmallows, chocolate chips, fudge sauce, or even… cubes of yellow cake.

The servers use paddles to fold your choice of mix-ins into the ice cream on a marble slab. Despite the cold stone, the ice cream softens a bit, which is just the way I like it.

I stopped to examine the take-home case and loved the look of the red velvet cake: candy-apple-red layers of cake, Cake Batter ice cream, white frosting and rainbow sprinkles. It looks like a party on a plate. It’s probably sweet enough to make your teeth ache. I want one for my next birthday. I feel like I’m eight years old.

Cold Stone Creamery in Palo Alto

No comments: